2020 has been a rollercoaster. It’s extremely hard to look at this year positively. But like any other rollercoaster, it has had its ups and downs. That said, It is important to process the downs to heal from them. Listing a few ups below which made it a little more bearable.
- Nature healed itself. Dolphins, Turtles and other species came out and finally claimed space for themselves because of quarantine keeping the humans away from the sea. Air quality became better at least in the starting of the lockdown. Many people did not celebrate Diwali because of coronavirus fear which led to lesser air and noise pollution for the dogs and other pets.
- People came together on social media platforms or even in person for the rights of other people. Be it ‘Dalit Lives Matters’ or the farmers’ movement! People showed support and created space for conversation. They tried to take charge of what is happening in their own country. Even in other kind ways, people donated their technological devices, economically supported the people who work for them and supported the local businesses. A sense of community was seen despite the lockdown.
- Many people took their health seriously and stayed in. They worked on their immunity and they ate home food. They gave much-needed rest to their bodies despite the pressures of productivity. They realised their health is very important and cannot be taken lightly.
- More people sought social support and therapy. Many new helplines have opened up and many people have used this time to sit with their triggers. Lockdown has been hard but it’s good to see people recognising that they need to work on themselves. Taking their mental health seriously and seeking help is a big step towards acceptance and recovery.
- Many people worked on their relationships, got into a new hobby, or even took the big step of opening new businesses! Some others experimented, read, danced or sang which they otherwise wouldn’t have much time to spend on.
Lockdown has been tough but we humans have still managed to gain something out of it. This resilience is extraordinary and we should appreciate it. We should value it. It’ll help us deal with what’s in store for the post-covid world.
Find a BUDDY to share all your problems with (even anonymously, if you want) on the FeelJoy Mobile App available for all Android users.
- Zachariah, S. S. (2020, August 26). 2020 is Not All Bad. Here are 10 Amazing Things That Have Happened So Far. Retrieved from https://www.thebetterindia.com/236544/2020-cancelled-pandemic-coronavirus-10-amazing-things-india-world-events-humanity-inspiring-ser106/
- Conditions, P. L., Insurance, A. B., Active Living – Your everyday health expert., Says:, A., Says:, A. P., Says:, A., . . . Posted in Fitness. (1969, May 01). 5 Positive Effects Of The Lockdown On Our Health. Retrieved from https://www.adityabirlacapital.com/healthinsurance/active-together/2020/04/23/how-the-lockdown-is-having-a-positive-impact-on-our-health/
- Agrawal, S., Yadavar, S., Here, P. E., -, S. J., -, S. F., & -, S. M. (2020, April 02). Locked down and anxious, more and more Indians are making panic calls, seeking therapy. Retrieved from https://theprint.in/health/locked-down-and-anxious-more-and-more-indians-are-making-panic-calls-seeking-therapy/392224/