Being mentally well means that your mind is functioning in the best possible order according to your ideas and interests. It actually means that you are in a happy state of mind and the tasks you perform create a positive impact. When you can take most of the challenges that life gives you and can create a positive impact from that situation on your personality as well as on your mind that situation is known as mental wellness. Mentally well people are positive and know how to navigate through situations well. They have control on their thoughts and emotions. It does not mean the absence of stress but the ability to deal with it properly.
Is it possible to imbibe a sense of wellness?
Mental wellness is created when you are positive about your life, thoughts and emotions. People who are mentally well have a balance in their lives.
To work towards maintaining mental wellness you can refer to the following tips:
- Maintain a healthy diet. Your diet should contain every nutrient in the correct amount. Your eating habits have a great effect on your lifestyle and the way you think.
- Get proper sleep. Every human requires at least 7-8 hours of sleep. Proper sleep cycle has reduced the stress levels and increased the concentration level.
- Maintain a hobby. From writing to painting to dancing, anything that makes you happy and calms your soul should be followed with great enthusiasm.
- Social contact is recommended. When we talk with other people and when we express ourselves. At least 10-15 minutes of daily social contact is recommended.
- Help others. Whenever you are having a bad day or you are feeling low, helping others makes you feel good about yourself and creates a calm feeling.
- Avoid excessive substance intake. Developing dependencies on substances like alcohol, drugs and cigarettes can lead to addiction and can badly affect your mental, physical and emotional health.
- Share your feelings with your family and friends. Sharing can always help.
- Maintaining a high level of confidence and high self-esteem which is a result of self-actualization.
WHY IS MENTAL WELLNESS IMPORTANT?
Mental wellness is essential for every person who is living in this chaotic and busy life. It helps us in making positive decisions and affects our overall behavior patterns as well as our emotions. Maintaining mental wellness makes us productive and lets us feel more good about ourselves. We can find pleasure and peace in doing daily life chores like going to work, completing school assignments, making presentations before deadlines, etc. Mental health is related to physical health as well. If we can maintain our mental health, we can have good physical health and vice versa. Mental health issues like stress, anxiety, etc can cause many cardiovascular diseases as well and the best way to avoid that is to maintain self-awareness and balance.
WHAT IS AN EXAMPLE OF MENTAL WELLNESS?
The examples of mental wellness are every person who has fought all the situations in his/her life and have come all the way to achieve the thing which makes them happy and satisfied.
The following are the examples which can help maintain mental wellness in your life and can make you happy.
- Facing your problems instead of running from them.
- Setting boundaries with toxic people.
- Expressing yourself whenever you want.
- Volunteering for an NGO or a cause that makes you happy.
- Indulging in a hobby.
- Taking a break from study or work.
- Pampering yourself.
All of this can aid building a cycle of self-care and self-love. Self-love can generate mental wellness because when you love yourself, you do not need any external stimulus which can make you feel loved. You are then enough for yourself and you can make yourself happy.
HOW CAN I IMPROVE MY MENTAL WELLNESS?
In order to improve your mental wellness, you have to feel happy and satisfied with who you are. Goals and dreams are the driving force of life, that we agree on. Dreams are important for growth. Financial growth is significant in today’s life but with that personal growth is also important. Focus on yourself. Work on yourself. Love yourself and celebrate yourself for your individuality. To conclude, we suggest that for improving your mental wellness you should try to focus on –
- Generating self love
- Maintaining a high level of confidence.
- Asking for help whenever you are feeling lost or low.
- Maintaining a healthy diet.
- A good sleep cycle.
- Taking a mental health assessment.
- Asking for professional help.
- Spending time with friends and family.
- Take good care of yourself.
- Practicing meditation.
You can train your mind for having positive thoughts by following these simple rules –
- Observe your thoughts.
- Scan for three daily positives. After waking up in the morning, think about 3 positive things which you will perform in your day.
- Gratitude is important. Maintain a gratitude journal.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Stay away from negative people.
- Practice meditation.
Find a GUIDE to share all your problems with (even anonymously, if you want) on the FeelJoy Mobile App available for all Android and IOS users.