Well-being is an experience of health, happiness and prosperity. It includes good health, high life satisfaction, meaning or purpose in life and ability to manage stress. There are different types of well-being like physical, psychological, social, emotional and so on. Emotional well-being is the ability to practice stress-management techniques, be resilient, and generate the emotions that lead to good feelings. The child’s emotional well-being refers to his or her ability to deal with stress, day-to-day problems, being resilient, aware of themselves and knowing how to understand, regulate and manage emotions. For the overall development of a child, it is important to look at holistic development which includes development in different aspects like emotional, physical, psychological and social development. To develop them, it is important to build skills about understanding emotions, expressing emotions, regulating emotions for self and others, and also of managing emotions.
There are certain ways which help in the development of understanding and building emotional competences for children. They are as follow-
- Developing emotions vocabulary – It helps them in understanding, identifying and labelling their feelings and emotions. For example, you can use emotions vocabulary to describe your feelings and emotions, and also help your child to find a vocabulary to describe their feelings and emotions. There are certain creative activities which can help you such as using diagrams and colours to describe different emotions, making emotional wheels with your children, playing games through role-play or drama to identify and develop vocabulary related to emotions, etc.
- Be aware of your child’s emotions – It is important to be aware of the emotions of your child and help them in identifying the causes of those emotions by openly communicating with them, being the co-explorer in identifying the causes and guiding them about ways to deal with it effectively.
- Value self-reflection of your children – Self reflection is a sign of being aware of oneself and appreciating the same about your children can be very encouraging for them.
- Teach them ways to become mindful – Mindfulness, meditation helps in understanding one’s senses and emotions. Parents should teach their children various techniques of relaxation, self-love and regulations of emotions.
- Guide them in understanding others emotions – Parents should try to inculcate a sense of empathy in their children which will aid them in understanding the emotions of others in a better manner and learn how to form effective relationships with others.
- Develop a healthy relationship with your child – Fostering a positive relationship with parents and having social support can lead to better emotional and overall well-being of the children. Try to form a relationship with your child in which you all can share, connect, feel safe, be supportive and communicate openly.
- Encourage resilience – Help them to deal creatively and effectively with the setbacks and changes in their life. Give them support, care and guide them about how to go through these times.
- Developing and considering self-esteem – Children can go through the face of self-doubt and lack of confidence. Appreciate and encourage them for their achievements and the hard-work they put in, or for trying to do something new or guiding them during their setbacks.
- Sensory play– In these, children can develop the understanding of the concept through exploring it by themselves. In this, you can include certain activities of playing with clay in understanding emotions and using other art forms to understand and identify emotions. Playing outside also helps them to explore and discover.
- Be the co-explorer – Children have a passion for learning and discovering so be the co-explorer with them. You can show interest and fascination, and learn along with them. This will help them to explore their creative style, feel appreciated for their learning and a better understanding of different aspects of life.
- Being creative – It includes giving children time to explore their creative side and also be creative with them, for eg, you can dance, sing with your children and allow them to explore with colours, paints, singing, dancing, writings and so on. It will help in their overall development.
- Take care of your well-being – You need to take care of yourself, spend time doing things you like, eat healthy, stay hydrated, take proper sleep and exercise regularly.
These are certain ways which will help you to develop emotional well-being in your children through guiding them, supporting them, playing different games and activities with them, being the co-explore, giving them an opportunity to be creative and self-reflective, helping them in understanding the emotions of self and others, and about how to regulate, identify and deal with emotional distress thus, encouraging the child to be resilient and building their confidence and self-esteem. It helps the child to develop emotional competence and emotional wellness which is beneficial for their long-term health and well-being.
Find a BUDDY to share all your problems with (even anonymously, if you want) on the FeelJoy Mobile App available for all Android users.