Sometimes we get so engrossed in trying to accomplish something big that we overlook the little things that give life its magic, little things to enjoy. It’s important to find the little things in everyday life that make you happy.
We all get naturally excited about the “D Days” in our lives be it — birthdays, graduation,first job, first home, weddings, newborn babies, job promotions, and so on, things we know will make us feel good and the time spent on those would sure be worth it. And we are generally pretty good at marking the big moments in our own and others’ lives. By saying this, I don’t mean to diminish their importance. But when we look back, it is the small, everyday moments that have truly make up the fabric of our lives.
It is said, “Enjoy the little things in life because one day you’ll look back, and realize they were the big things.” Thinking only about the big things sometimes can be ruinous.There are a lot of pressures connected to the grand achievements.
Being under a lot of pressure will negatively affect your mental and physical health.Feelings of anxiety, sleep difficulties, a compromised immune system, and unexplained aches and pains are not uncommon symptoms of being overly stressed out. A little stress every now and then is not something to be worried about. Ongoing, chronic stress, however, can cause or egg on many serious physical and mental health problems.
Always wanting more can also lead to an unsatisfying life if left unchecked. Constantly striving to reach ahead of others can cause you to feel as though you are falling behind. This type of mindset takes the focus off of what you have or what you have done and puts it on a place of lack. However, a grateful heart will allow you to see the good in what is currently going on in your life.
The ability to appreciate the small things can upgrade your life in a big way. We should slow down and savour. This idea falls into the ‘take time to smell the roses’ tradition. Next time when you’re frustrated or annoyed or angry or upset, you should try to cast your mind back in search of those moments in your life when you’ve felt really happy and content.
Here are some of the ‘little things’ that might just make you smile:
1. Laughing until you cry.
2. Taking a long beach walk, feeling the sand between your toes and breathing in the fresh ocean air.
3. A 5-minute massage or go and pamper yourself
4. A long phone conversation, like you used to have in school. Call a dear friend, and start reminiscing.
5. Spending time cuddling your pets. If you don’t have one go and adopt the one on the streets.
6. Petrichor-ized! Feel the moment after the rain stops. Everything smells clean, fresh, and revitalized.
7. Extending a small courtesy and watching the effect. E.g. Hold the door for someone or thank them for something most people wouldn’t notice.
8. A small gesture of support. Four simple words: “I believe in you.” Minor actions, huge impact
9. Last but not the least, your music, when you want it. Turning up your favourite song and singing out loud.