A number of times we are burdened with deadlines and try to give our best while working. In order to work with utmost effectiveness and efficiency, it is important to plan everything and not rush. In fact, taking some breaks in between coupled with some deep breaths can be very helpful. Working hard is a requirement these days but working hard by taking breaks in between is even better and can do wonders to our level of productivity.
Most of us find ourselves stuck in a particular problem either at work or school in our day-to-day lives. Getting involved in some other thing for a few hours helps us in relieving stress and increases the level of productivity and consequently, the output is of better quality. This is the power of taking strategic breaks which helps refresh our brains, and to see a situation in a better light.
What are the advantages of taking a break?
- It helps us to stay happy: When we work in peace, we are able to complete our tasks with more efficiency sans a stressful mindset. We attract happiness and our thoughts get aligned in a better, more manageable way. The clearer our thought process, the more we get done which brings in positive affirmation, and it is a well-known fact that appreciation leads to positive motivation and higher level of productivity.
- Prevents mental and physical fatigue: The word fatigue is often used interchangeably with tiredness but in real life it is more than that. When we are working hard without stopping, it might seem like a good idea in the short-term but if we are looking for long-term success and happiness, we need to take small breaks in between so that we can give our brain and body some free time.
- Improves efficiency: When we work in the same place by sitting on the same chair, carrying the same laptop or notebook, we tend to get sick of the same things; hence, changing the environment around us for a few minutes can give our brain a break and help in developing more innovative ideas. By taking short breaks, we are able to work with a more efficient plan than before and also feel fresh.
- Improves concentration: Our brain is almost always full of different thoughts running through it at the same time and it is impossible to get rid of those at times. The most we can do is to take a mini-break followed by meditation or physical exercise as physical activities help in releasing endorphins (also known as the happy hormone.) Physical activities can help sharpen our brain and can aid in making us see things with a different perspective.
- Helps us realise our goals: A large number of people work very hard in completing day-to-day tasks but most of us forget to prioritise our activities and goals effectively. When we take a break from work, we can do a little introspection and try to figure out which of our tasks is more important and prioritize our work accordingly.
- Helps in achieving our goals: Once we know what our concrete goals are, we don’t need to pay attention to other trivial things but instead, effectively shift all our focus to one place. So our ultimate goal which was “to achieve success” is accomplished by taking mini-breaks and it is going to work very well.
Now you all must be thinking would it make a difference if we take breaks in between or complete a task at a stretch. Let’s discuss this.
What can be the consequences of working without taking a break?
- Poor decision making
- Downfall in productivity
- More chances of getting sick (because of the workload)
- Poor personal and professional relationships
- Low morale
- Exhaustion (mental and physical)
- Irritable behaviour
- Loss of appetite
- Sleep problems
- High levels of stress and anxiety
- Loss of work-life balance
What can we do during break time?
As we are talking about taking mini-breaks, the most important thing which everyone should know is that taking breaks is useful only if we stay positive. One must believe in themselves and faith in their hardwork and learn to stop cursing their fate in case the outcome is negative. Self awareness plays a vital role in this.
A few things which need to be kept in mind are:
- While taking breaks, don’t watch a depressing movie; rather go for rom-coms.
- Make a habit of getting some sort physical exercise daily so that your break is meaningful and not a waste.
- Try to avoid talking to anyone for long durations because conversations can distract us and have a negative impact on our productivity levels.
- Last but not the least, try to meditate. Meditation can actually do wonders as it helps in reducing stress and improves concentration, too.
BUDDY to share all your problems with (even anonymously, if you want) on the FeelJoy Mobile App available for all Android users.