Are there times when you feel extremely overwhelmed with everything in your life? Moments when you feel like you are going to explode or feel so empty that everything seems useless? If so, chances are you might have had or are still suffering from mental exhaustion.
What is Mental Exhaustion?
Mental exhaustion is a condition caused due to over-activity of the brain. It can make you feel empty, exhausted or overwhelmed and make your problems feel as if they’re impossible to overcome. It can happen to anyone and is mostly caused due to long-term stress. It makes you feel powerless and weak, causes not only mental health issues but also emotional and physical health issues if left unchecked. It is also called ‘mental fatigue’ and some call it ‘burnout’ though it isn’t an officially recognized term.
Causes of Mental Fatigue –
- Long term stress at work or at home causes a lot of stress on a person which leads to over-thinking.
- Overworking your brain without rest like making a lot of decisions and working on a lot of things at once drains your energy.
- Cluttered headspace, in the long run, can manifest mental fatigue.
- Over-committing in public or private spheres can cause a lot of stress and anxiety.
- Creating unreachable goals for ourselves and stressing over them causes a lot of overthinking.
- Perfectionism and pestering on the smallest issues can turn into a major stressor.
- Procrastination or avoiding something leads to an increase in anxiety and stress, it also depletes your mental energy.
- Long working hours at work or just not giving yourself time to relax are taxing both mentally and physically.
- Financial issues
- Any type of draining emotional or physical issues
Symptoms of Mental Exhaustion –
Symptoms of mental exhaustion vary from person to person, often missed until the problem grows out of hand. The burnout can make you feel like you are all alone in the darkness with no hope and everything feels exhausting and every emotion is over-amplified. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms or signs, that might indicate that you are on the path of burnout.
- Having signs of anxiety or depression
- Feeling angry over the smallest issues
- Feeling of hopelessness
- Lack of motivation
- A decrease in productivity both at work and at home
- Lack of concentration
- Headaches and upset stomach
- Changes in weight and appetite
- Social withdrawal
- Poor work performance
Ways to avoid a BURNOUT–
If you feel that you have started to experience any of the above symptoms or are part of an environment that would lead you to experience these symptoms, there are ways to avoid burnout.
- It is important to take frequent breaks from work to let your mind breath. Daily start taking a few minutes break in between working and just close your eyes and relax. Go out on trips to get refreshed or get a hobby that you can do while taking a break from work.
- Meditation can help us with many things like stress and anxiety. It calms our mind and emotions, which helps us in focusing and concentrating better.
- Plan out and strategize everything so that things don’t get chaotic and messy. But even if there are some mistakes or issues here and there, do not stress on them and just start tackling them one by one. Stressing yourself would only lead to over-thinking and your problems than would seem impossible to solve.
- One of the major reasons for burnout is self-doubt. We tend to doubt ourselves and second-guessing our actions which makes us stress. Start with self-acceptance, self-care, and self-love only then you will be able to give the best of yourself in anything. Do what you like doing and indulge in things you like once in a while.
There is a major difference between stress and mental exhaustion. Stress is something everyone experiences from time to time in their life but mental exhaustion is a result of long-term stress which is left untreated. Mental exhaustion can cause issues related to emotional and physical health in the long run. This is why it is also very important that one should get professional help and treatment if diagnosed with mental exhaustion.
Find a BUDDY to share all your problems with (even anonymously, if you want) on the FeelJoy Mobile App available for all Android users.