Yoga is well known for its benefits on both physical and mental health. While its benefits on physical health are more famous, its benefits on mental are certainly equally important. Yoga helps the individual concentrate on his/her body and mind by focusing on and controlling their breath. This helps the individual deal with everyday stress and life problems in a more balanced and clear headed manner.
The poses or the ‘asanas’ are designed in a way that it calms the mind and help you to relax and regulate your emotions. Yoga also teaches you to be patient and increases your power of concentration. Every asana requires a certain amount of precision, patience, and concentration but with consistency and practice, it becomes easier with time and if you transfer this patience and concentration to your day to day life, it helps you to deal with negative emotions in a healthy way.
LONG TERM BENEFITS OF YOGA ON MENTAL HEALTH
- Yoga helps you improve your quality of life since it helps you become more self-aware. It also helps you to remain calm and clear headed in stressful situations.
- Increased concentration will help you achieve your goals, giving you a sense of satisfaction and which consequently will boost your self-confidence.
- Staying calm during difficult situations gives you the time to think before reacting; this way you make a wise choice instead of a hurried one.
- Various asanas of yoga are designed in a way that they help you balance your physical and mental health. This helps you become aware of not only your surroundings but also of your inner self, which in return helps you to function more in sync with it all.
- Yoga increases your memory retention as well; participants are asked to focus on a point and practice concentration. This will help you recall information and perform with more precision on the task at hand.
Even though yoga isn’t the primary go to treatment of mood or stress related disorders, it has proven to help people with such disorders immensely.
- Yoga helps eliminate negative emotions and doing yoga regularly helps you with perceived stress, depression, anxiety, mood swings etc.
- Yoga also improves sleep quality. As some of the asanas relax your central nervous system, it helps you to get a better night’s sleep which is very important for our overall health.
How often should a person do yoga to reap its benefits?
Yoga doesn’t show instant results. It takes a while for the body to get used to its routine and attain flexibility but one can see tangible results in three to four weeks. The more you practice yoga, the better it gets for your mental, physical, and emotional health. You should practice yoga as diligently and regularly as possible in order to reap its benefits to the fullest.
Some ways in which yoga helps us to achieve mental balance are
- It shifts your mind from the frenzied state to a state of calm and composure. It helps you to move from the parasympathetic nervous system to sympathetic nervous system or it moves you from fight or flight mode to rest and digest mode. Stretching with the combination of breathing helps you deal with anxiety and depression in a healthy way in the long run.
- It improves your self-confidence and helps you build a sense of self. Meditating opens up the inner avenues and helps you communicate with your own self. This makes a person more self-aware and helps in coming to terms with one’s true self by inculcating self-acceptance.
- Improves your relationship with others. Since it improves your temper and makes your aware about your surroundings, it makes you more compassionate about others. This improves the quality of relationships you develop with people.
Some asanas which help you improve your mental balance
- Bal asana or child’s pose
It stimulates your nervous system and helps to re energize your body.
- Viparita Karani
It relaxes your central nervous system and your mind as it improves blood circulation in the body.
- Standing forward bend pose for Uttanasana
This is another great pose for improving mental health and treating the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Corpse Pose or Savasana
This pose is usually used to end almost all yoga routines. It’s an excellent pose for meditation. It eases your mind and body.
Yoga is an all-rounder; it does wonders for your physical, emotional as well as mental health. It’s has so many benefits that most doctors recommend it to all of their patients, especially those who suffer from any mental ailment. It relaxes you and helps you lead to a better, more balanced and calm life. Once you start doing yoga, your body craves for those stretches and movements. So, make your body habitual to this beneficial practice and open yourself for a spiritual and introspective journey.
Find a BUDDY to share all your problems with (even anonymously, if you want) on the FeelJoy Mobile App available for all Android users.
57 thoughts on “YOGA – A Practice That Will Help You Maintain Mental Balance”
Great article. Recently started practicing yoga and this article nicely lists down all benefits that yoga provides you with
Amazing article 💯 Yoga is very important for not just physical health but for mental well being also. Yoga helps in overcoming stress by giving you inner peace and improving quality of life.
Such a comprehensive article! Yoga truly helps in unwinding and rejuvenating my mental health at the end of the day.
Thank you so much! Yoga can really be cathartic.
Thank you. You’ll soon see the benefits of yoga on your overall well-being. The key is regularity.
Such a helpful piece. Lifestyle changes and yoga help to improve the quality of life
True. Thank you. ☺️
Very helpful, yoga is truly a must for both our mental and physical health m isn’t it?
Wow, I did not know Yoga provides so many benefits. It is truly so important for the mental health of a person
Yes it really is. It keeps you in shape but most importantly it calms you down.
this article is amazing for both physical and mental wellbeing
Thank you ☺️
Woah! Will definitely start with the practice of Yoga.
Yes you definitely should and maybe you can start with doing the asanas mentioned in the article.
it is a really good article for understanding importance of yoga not only for our physical but also mental well being by very well mentioning the benefit.
Thank you so much. ☺️ Glad you liked it.
Amazing article for overall wellbeing and wellness
Thank you 😊
Thank you ☺️
Yoga is very effective. Nice one
Yoga is very effective and important.. nice article
Thank you ☺️
A very good article for well being and mental health.
Thank you ! ☺️
This article on Yoga is extremely comprehensive and helpful. Found it a wonderful read.
Thank you so much. ☺️
Thank you for sharing. Never tried yoga but am definitely looking forward to improving my wellbeing especially during these times.
You should definitely start with it. A little yoga these days can help us all. ☺️
Mental health is as important as physical health, and yoga gracefully targets both! Well written article on benefits of yoga and how we can incorporate it in our daily lives.
Thank you so much for the appreciation. ☺️
Great article. Want to learn more yoga poses to improve my mental and physical health. thank you
Happy to help. ☺️ You can always start doing these basic asanas and then move to more complex ones.
Being in the position where I have extremely affected mental health presently, I found this article on yogaa really helpful. All the asanas are really working it’s way up on my mental balance and it’s benefits are seeping in.
So glad to hear that it helped you in difficult times. That’s the power of an asana, I guess. Hope it does wonders for you. Thank you. ☺️
Before this article had never thought that practicing yoga can be this much beneficial for our well being.
It can really do wonders for you. You should definitely try it once. Thank you. ☺️
Wonderfully explained 🐱
Thank you so much. Hoping thay it helps you to get started with yoga. ☺️
Absolutely 💯 agree !!! Yoga give peace to mind and soul … practising it on a daily basis is just not a habit but part of the routine 😊 or even more than that. Impressive and informative article.
Exactly yoga is indeed a way of life. Thank you so much for the appreciation.
Thank you 😊
Yoga does help in maintaing well being in the long term and has so many advantages for the person practicing it
Very important and great article……
as Yoga is the best way to live happy, healthy and positive life…….it’s for good mental health as well as good soul and body.
Happy to hear that the article was informative.
Thank you. Happy to help. ☺️
Yoga brings the mental peace which in turn brings mental and physical health. Wonderfully explained.
Thank you ☺️
Yoga is a great practice for both the body and the mind, it offers peace and mindfulness to its lovers and helps them get through daily stress. Therefore, we have compiled for you some of the most amazing yoga quotes to keep you motivated and excited to get on the mat.
TRUE YOGA IS NOT ABOUT THE SHAPE OF YOUR BODY, BUT THE SHAPE OF YOUR LIFE. YOGA IS NOT TO BE PERFORMED; YOGA IS TO BE LIVED. YOGA DOESN’T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN; YOGA CARES ABOUT THE PERSON YOU ARE BECOMING. YOGA IS DESIGNED FOR A VAST AND PROFOUND PURPOSE, AND FOR IT TO BE TRULY CALLED YOGA, ITS ESSENCE MUST BE EMBODIED
You are absolutely right. I wish more people understand this and make a lifestyle change.
It helps in keeping you focused and reduce the mental pressure. It’s a great way for achieving mental wellness. All points have been nicely elaborated
Thank you so much.
Wow! I didn’t know Yoga can have so many benifits. This is an amazing article, keep writing more.