Most people go through life and always hear about the word respect, but they don’t know what it means. Respect is the esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person. There are things in life you need to hold in respect. Respect for yourself, respect for others, and respect for property. Respect is taught to people everywhere and it is even taught to them in their religions. Respect is the very aspect that keeps everything in your life.
In relation to our topic ,we should understand why we should respect our elders. Respecting your elders is important because they know more than you and they know what is good for you and what isn’t. An elder is someone with a degree of seniority, and ageing is not only a biological process but also a cultural one in many societies.
Respecting our elders should be a courtesy entrenched in every single person. They should be treated with respect, dignity and the appreciation that they deserve at all the times because most of them have life experiences that we should listen to and learn from. It is all about respecting their experiences of life. Respect comes from within the soul and not from outside world. Elders were not born elders, they were kids like us and now grown up old. If today you will respect your elders your present and future generations will carry those values and will learn to respect you as well as when you will grow old.
Elders have a lot to share with you – their life experiences, their first job, their first love, their mistakes, their discoveries, their success and much more. They have lived up things that you could hardly imagine! They have achieved everything without much comfort such as cell phones and computers like you. They are amazingly interesting, intelligent and strong human beings who have experienced various hardships in life in the real sense.
Unfortunately now days elders people in our society are not seen with much respect. They are unable to get the love ,affection and respect that they truly deserve. Its high time we should awaken our souls to feel the importance of our elders in our lives. Here are some reasons why we should respect our elders :
- They love you unconditionally and you owe everything in return of their love and kindness.
- They try to incur strong moral values in you to make you a better human being.
- They are much more experienced than you in terms of age, education, wisdom and maturity.
- They deserve it because they have bought you up facing many hardships in life.
- They have already been through the phases you are experiencing today and know more about this world than you.
- They have so much to offer you be it guidance, good counsel or ways to lead a better successful life.
- They are a treasure of historical information and giving respect can help you maintain a better communication with them to achieve such knowledge.
- Our religion teaches us that what we give we receive it back someday.
- THEY ARE ALSO HUMAN LIKE YOU!
In the age of change, our human society is progressing rapidly on many fronts. Yet at the same time, many setbacks have arisen. One of them is disrespect for the old folks. It is obvious that the causes of inadequate respect for the old are numerous :
- Children are being spoilt in most of the families. They don’t know how to get along well with seniors.
- As their parents are busy working, children who lack the love and attention don’t know how to be polite to the elderly people.
- Governments haven’t done enough in term of promoting the education for looking after older folks.
In conclusion, by caring of parents, educating school children and self disciplined in children, we can solve the problem of children today do not respect elders. If more people were respectful, the world would be more positive in likely. Lack of respect should not be appearing in our next generation.
Find a BUDDY to share all your problems with (even anonymously, if you want) on the FeelJoy Mobile App available for all Android users.